(urth) So who is the child in Baldander's bed? [was: Juturna, the Missing Sister]

Adam Thornton adam at io.com
Thu Jul 29 06:04:37 PDT 2010

On 07/29/2010 03:11 AM, Gerry Quinn wrote:
> l So the fact that the child appears to be retarded doesn't
> necessarily mean anything. Perhaps Baldanders has started the
> modifications earlier on his son/replacement, or perhaps Baldanders
> started like this too.
Doesn't Severian think Baldanders is simple for a while?

Also: does "fuel" count as "catamite"?  My reading of the child is that
he's not there for Baldanders' *sexual* satisfaction, but because
Baldanders extends his youth by chowing down on his young self-clones'
(if that's
  what they are) pineal glands, or slowly drinking their blood, or
something.  Maybe "battery" or "spare parts" is more accurate than "fuel."

Adam