(urth) Not a film version but ... (was: Re: UotNS and how it screws with your head)

Pedro Pereira domus_artemis at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 29 05:31:42 PDT 2010

Personaly I never had problems with a movie (or trilogy or something) version of BotNS. Some people have expressed the idea that it is impossible to capture all the complexity of the books in movie format (and making it comercially successful doesn't help) and that so it would be better to not make it at all.

I disagree. Even a "lighter" version of BotNS would have the disirable effect of probably capturing the interest of more people to the books and that for me is a positive thing. I don't think that a movie (or series of movies) needs obligatorily to capture all the intrincacies of Wolfe as if it was a reproduction of the Urth's Discussion List + "academic" treatises on Wolfe. Wolfe has a very good thing going for it which is that it can be read on many different levels. The first time I read the BotNS I was like 12 or 13 years old and I absolutely loved it while I certainly didn't even began to grasp the intrincacies of the books. That's the beauty of Wolfe. The books can be read at face value like any other "fantasy" books and it works. It would be extremely difficult to capture the "second level" reading nature of Wolfe in movie format and I honestly don't think it is needed to be a good desirable project. Plus, it's a beautiful story full of great imagery that would be a beautiful movie if done by the correct director/studio combination. That alone is already a good reason.

But that's just me.

Pedro