(urth) Juturna, the Missing Sister

John Watkins john.watkins04 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 12:24:44 PDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 3:13 PM, Lee Berman <severiansola at hotmail.com>wrote:

> Hair color must surely match and justify the geneology and I think it
> works like this:
>
> Blonde Dorcas and her red haired husband have blonde Ouen as a son. Ouen
> and dark haired Catherine have twins, dark haired Severian and blonde
> Severa (Jolenta).
>
> Dark haired Cyriaca and her red haired "uncle" have twins, Agia and
> Agilus. They have not just brown but reddish brown, "chestnut" hair.

That works just fine.  I dunno about Cyriaca being the mother of Agia and
Agilus but I have no strong feelings about it either way.

My issue is that in reverse, hair of any color can fit into the Severian
family tree.  And so we see Borski saying that Baldanders' overgrown child
(and possible catamite), who has gold hair, is Severian's biological child.
Because he has gold hair!  And gold represents the sun!

But if he had dark hair, he'd look like Severian, and so also could be
argued to be Severian's kid.

And if he had pale blonde hair, he'd look like Dorcas.

And with "chestnut" hair, he might be related to Agia and Agilus--maybe even
be their incest-spawn--and therefore Severian.

Red hair would be proof of an Inire connection, as you note.

At some point, every detail becomes a prop for one wild theory or another,
and the loop closes.