(urth) Rudesind / Inire / Lunar Picture

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Tue Jul 27 02:01:00 PDT 2010

From: "Jeff Wilson" <jwilson at io.com>
> Also, "your blue Urth" is ultimately the translator's choice of words,
not necessarily a literal translation of what Severian recorded. "Your
[item]" is part of an English idiom that is popular among craftsmen who
work on other people's property, perhaps like an engineer who has been
hired to improve an existing potato chip production line, and this has
become a marketing tool where "your" addresses the audience even if they
don't own the item yet, and even if the crafter is promoting a recipe or
abstract idea rather than a service.
>Googling "your basic" yields 2 million + examples of this modest
variation, but the idiom is at least decades old; "Your Show of Shows"
debuted in 1950.

This use of "your" is common in Ireland, and has almost certainly been so
for generations.. A very common version is "your man" meaning "that man", as
in "[Do you] see your man over there?".

Other versions use "your" in place of "the", as in "Your frog, now, [ in
contrast to some previously mentioned creature] is a  more amphibious type
of fellow".

Of course the idiom may not be as common everywhere; but for me Rudesind's
use of "your"
carries no special implications relating to ownership or origin, and such
implications never occurred to me before I saw them discussed on this list.

- Gerry Quinn