(urth) On Pedophillia and Homosexuality

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Wed Jul 21 20:46:38 PDT 2010

On 7/21/2010 10:01 PM, Jerry Friedman wrote:
> *From:* Nicholas <nickjost at yahoo.com>
> **
>>" don't see where you get this from. Granted Baldanders is not shown as
> having any sexual interest in >women,
>
> Specifically, not in the endlessly desirable Jolenta.

Baldanders likely assisted Dr Talos with her makeover, and so would have
a lot of associations with her that others would not. Also, Baldanders
is really old and despite his prolonged adolescent growth, he doesn't
seem to have the teenage horniness one might expect, so he could be
"done" or just have a low sex drive.

>>  and by default one might assume that such a character might (or might
> not) be gay. But the
>>modified child in his bed hardly qualifies as a man."
>>
>>You make two bad assumptions that the classic world didn't.
>
> You did say specifically that Baldanders liked the attentions of "men",
> not "men and boys". And where should I have noticed that's what he
> liked? Also, you said that Severian noticed and grokked that men are
> attracted to other males. Where did I miss that? I remember he mentions
> some men who are impotent save with men like themselves.

At first I read this as "impatient", and perhaps he is indeed the sort
of sexist pig who doesn't have time for women, despite being otherwise
enlightened about the human condition. A similar attitude was prevalent
at King's College among the mostly male DNA reasearchers at the expense
of Rosalind Franklin.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
IEEE Student Chapter Blog at
< http://ieeetamut.org >