(urth) Where did Abaia go?

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 12:02:12 PDT 2010

> But for those who don't see Judeo-Christianity in this story, I will offer a more
> textual explanation. Perhaps Abaia doesn't really live in the ocean. Abaia is the
> name for a magical *freshwater* eel in Melanesian mythology. So perhaps
> a flood could kill off Abaia simply via contact with salt water.

Without followers, why would the Megatherians stay? Typhon surely would
not have remained when the entire human population was reduced
to....what a few dozen? I'm not sure why it would be the case, but one
inference from Typhon's conversation with Severian is that he was unable
to leave Urth at the end.

""It was a period of great confusion as well. My astronomers had told me
that
this sun's activity would decay slowly. Far too slowly, in fact, for the
change
to be noticeable in a human lifetime. They were wrong. The heat of the world
declined by nearly two parts in a thousand over a few years, then
stabilized.
Crops failed, and there were famines and riots. *I should have left then*."

Is there any evidence that the Megatherians could at last leave after
the New Sun came?

u+16b9