(urth) Ymar The Almost Just

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 19 06:23:27 PDT 2010

>I put that in the subject because it's one of the things that made me laugh
>when I first read the books.
>Wasn't Ymar a torturer? Has anyone analyzed the significance of both the
>first and the last Autarchs (and two we know did take the test) being torturers?

That is a funny name. Like something from Monty Python, I think.

And yes, the comparison of Severian to Ymar has been made
in the past. Some even think perhaps Ymar was the first version of Severian which
was mentioned.

In an interview Gene Wolfe says something like, "considering his scourging
of the money changers in the Temple, even Jesus knew what it was to be a
torturer".