(urth) Patera Inire

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Sun Jul 18 15:29:44 PDT 2010

On 7/18/2010 6:15 AM, John Watkins wrote:
> I know I keep pointing this out, but I think the correct resolution of
> this question in the New Sun universe and in Wolfe general is that
> insofar as a false religion achieves its ends it does so because it has
> been hijacked by the true religion.

Yes, that's what I was thinking, which can coexist with usual SF trope
of the Fake Religion As a Secular Tool (see Dune, Foundation, The Day
After Tomorrow, Cat's Cradle) even as it subverts it.

Pas and the Outsider both want to get the people of the Whorl where they
are going, Inire and the Increate both want to deliver the Urth and the
Human Race back into their natural condition under a healthy sun - thus
the bad serves good, and the false proves faithful to the higher truth,
like Severian says over and over again.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
IEEE Student Chapter Blog at
< http://ieeetamut.org >