(urth) Patera Inire

Roy C. Lackey rclackey at stic.net
Sat Jul 17 15:23:22 PDT 2010

James Wynn wrote:
> The thing is, that while Silk had no "son of his body", I don't think he
> is a good example to under-cut Father Inire's possible "fatherhood".

I mentioned Patera Silk as an example from the Sun Cycle of a man who is a
priest who had no natural children. Priests of the RC Church, and others,
also are commonly addressed as Father, even though they are mandated by the
laws of their church to be celibate and not to engage in sexual congress.
It's Father in English, Padre in Spanish, etc. But you already know that. In
LS, priests are addressed as Patera in exactly the same way that priests in
the Catholic Church are addressed as Father; I daresay for the same reasons.

Anyway, Inire is stated to be a cacogen, an alien. It is very doubtful that
he could have fathered any children on a human woman.

> >> Roy wrote:
> >> The religion faded away, but not Inire. He may have kept the title
Father,
> >> just as the Domnicellae of the Pelerines was addressed as Mother.
> > Craig Brewer:
> > Quite a stretch, but Inire's title always did stand out, and the
title/office is
> > so prominent in LS that it seems worth considering.
>
> I'm not sure it is that much of a stretch that Inire's title associates
> him with the religion of the Concilliator.

That's not what Craig said was a stretch. You left out this paragraph
between the above quotes:

> So what of "Patera," then? When we get to Long Sun, are we supposed to tie
the
> "Inire Religion" to what Pas has created? "Patera" (a nice mix of the
possibly
> Spanish/SouthAmerican/Nessus-influenced "padre" and Latin "pater") is of
course
> suitably close to "Father" (the "authentic" word Inire used, or at least
as the
> translator had it). Could this suggest a connection-to-yet-corruption-of
the New
> Sun religion, rather than the LS theology being completely Pas, et al.'s
> creation?

What he meant was a stretch was his own speculation, the one in the
paragraph immediately above.

-Roy