(urth) Inire as a hierodule

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Fri Jul 16 13:14:23 PDT 2010

From: "Roy C. Lackey" <rclackey at stic.net>

> There is no doubt at all that Severian believed that Inire was a member of
> short-lived kind -- he said so. I suspect that Inire's use of "cousins" in
> the letter was just a generic, euphemistic term for his short-lived kind,
> in
> much the same sense that a Christian may speak of his fellow believers as
> "brothers in Christ".

Also, we don't know anything about how hierodules are born / constructed /
hatched.  Maybe he feels "brother" is too suggestive of a human-like
reproductive system.

Admittedly he seems to have no problem with calling himself "Father", but
then again the word "father" here is clearly (?) being used metaphorically.

- Gerry Quinn