(urth) Inire as a hierodule

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 08:46:09 PDT 2010

On 7/16/2010 6:34 AM, António Pedro Marques wrote:
> First thing of, he refers to himself as 'Inire'. That suggests against
> mangling of the name, at least including word boundaries.

I think you *might* be right. I mean, we are still left with the fact
that his name does not match any naming convention in the book. However,
even if you are right, this does not preclude Fr. Inire being an
intended anagram of Fenrir in the same sense that the characters'
saintly namesakes are intended to parallel their actions in the story.
The existence of a River Gyoll almost requires the existence of a Fenrir
in the story.

And, whether you are right or wrong, we are surely being invited to ask
who Father Inire's child or children are.

> Second, he twice mentions his 'cousins'. Not his brothers nor his
> makers. I suspect he's not a hierodule. Something related to them, but
> not one. Not that it matters terribly.

In the New Testament there are references to Jesus' "brothers". Roman
Catholic and Eastern Orthodox exegesis declares that this refers to his
"cousins".

u+16b9