(urth) Master Ultan's Library

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Fri Jul 16 06:04:31 PDT 2010

Some of my favorite passages in Severian's narration involve commentary
on literary style. In Shadow, he compares writing to execution of the
condemned.

What do you all make of the following mention of Master Ultan's Library?

Similarly *you, who will some day delve in Master Ultan's library,* will
require of me no long delays; personages who are permitted to speak only
briefly yet do it well; certain dramatic pauses which shall signal to
you that something of import is about to occur; excitement; and a sating
quantity of blood.