(urth) lots of stuff

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Wed Jul 14 21:42:16 PDT 2010

On 7/14/2010 8:20 PM, Lane Haygood wrote:
>> Not Southerners? Brownsville is as southern it gets, Pardner.
>
> The South refers more to what we call the "Southeast" now.  Texas was
> a part of the Confederacy, but not because we felt any particular
> loyalty to Virginia, Tennessee, the Carolinas or Georgia.  We were
> just a bunch of ig'nant racists that wanted to continue to own people.
>
> In all seriousness though, Texans do not consider themselves to be
> part of "the South," nor would Southerners admit Texans in to their
> ranks willingly.  When Texas formed its unique identity, and Texans as
> a people, it was as an independent nation.

The two need not be mutually exclusive. The whole Confederate movement
was about maintaining the member states' unique identity and destiny as
much as possible. And all the member states suffer from roughly equal
proportions of disposessed gentry that descend from the finest
carpetbagging families as the genuine articles.

> And yes, it was an independent nation of Tejanos that seceded from
> Mexico, with a little help from some uh... luminaries... from the
> United States.  We showed 'em good at San Jacinto (which is pronounced
> "SAN juh-SIN-tow," I tell you what.).

What part of Texas are you from? It's always "SAN juh-SIN-ta" 'round here.

> Seriously; as a fellow Texan, I'm sure Mr. Wolfe would agree with me
> in this regard.  Even if he did go to that dark and terrible school
> known as "A&M."

I'm a born and raised Texan myself, fellow Aggieland matriculant, and no
other fellow Texans of my acquaintance have ever objected to being
considered "southerners". Then again, this is all sampled from the
eastern limb of Texas, which extends hundreds of miles further in
various directions. Technically, it would be 10 miles shorter for me to
visit yankees in Chicago than my neighbors in El Paso.

But perhaps I am biased; my greatgrandmother's maiden name was Davis,
and I'm not the only Jeff in the family.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
IEEE Student Chapter Blog at
< http://ieeetamut.org >