(urth) Gene Wolfe As A Chronographer

brunians at brunians.org brunians at brunians.org
Wed Jul 14 12:46:15 PDT 2010

Wilson writes:

> There are a few latter period ones, like the giant flying robot warriors
> guarding Typhon's mountain citadel. Of course, in the conceit of the
> Book as Dr Talos mentions, their existence in the future inspires people
> to dream about them and write about them in the Golden and Silver Ages!

You believe that this is a conceit?

This is an accurate description of Reality.

It has happened to me.

As I have mentioned, long before I read the Book of the New Sun, I would
have dreams, hallucinations or visions in which I was going to be taken by
aliens and tested somehow, and that if I failed the test I would be
castrated.

This was a feature of my internal life - and not a pleasant one - from the
age of ten or so.

I read the Book of the New Sun when it came out. It was immediately
obvious to me what had happened.

I was born in 1957.

If this happens in my personal timeline, why should such things not happen
in the historical timeline?

.