(urth) UotNS and how it screws with your head

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Tue Jul 13 10:59:19 PDT 2010

From: "David Stockhoff" <dstockhoff at verizon.net>

> When?

That may not be a very sensible question.  White holes, effectively, travel
backwards in time; and this is supported in the text by the negentropic
effects such as healing the sick and raising the dead which Severian effects
by way of his association with the White Fountain.

We know that the black hole was created, or arrived, during the reign of
Typhon.  I am not certain that it makes sense to worry about when the white
hole becomes physically present in our universe, or indeed how and even
whether it travelled to the Sun.  About the only thing we know for certain
is that gravitational radiation is emitted shortly before the final merging
of the black and white holes; the ringing of the bells does suggest that the
two entered an inwardly spiralling orbit.

Time does not run in Yesod as it does in Briah... an event in Briah might
happen at any Urthly time coordinate, or perhaps at more than one.

There is also the issue of mass - surely the black and white holes have to
be the same size to cancel each other?  i suppose it would work well enough
if they were *approximately* the same mass, but still...

- Gerry Quinn