(urth) UotNS and how it screws with your head

John Watkins john.watkins04 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 09:12:19 PDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 12:03 PM, Gerry Quinn <gerryq at indigo.ie> wrote:

>  I think it was the white fountain too.
>
> Of course, there is another issue with the white fountain, which Mr.
> Thallassocrat, at least, may find interesting.  The concept of a white hole
> comes from the maximally extended Schwarzschild solution for a black hole.
> Few nowadays think that white holes exist in nature - but if one does it
> should be associated with a black hole (though perhaps in a different
> universe).
>
> It would also make sense in that the result of combining the two should be
> to negate both - this doesn't seem so probable if an arbitrary black hole
> meets an arbitrary white hole.
>
> Could Severian, therefore, also have created the black hole in the Sun?

I don't think so...

I think the black hole in the Sun exists as a white fountain in the lower
universe (Abbadon?)

It would follow that the white fountain Severian creates exists as a black
hole in Yesod or some higher plane.  There may be an incredible number of
layers of universes...

Metaphorically (and maybe literally), I think Wolfe is making a point about
grace.  The layers of universe ultimately terminate at what Dante would have
called the Empyrean, highest heaven, where infinite energy miraculously
fonts from the Godhead.  God, being the well that never goes dry, can give
without taking, breaking the law of conversation of energy.  This has a
parallel with ethics--in love, humans partake in the divine essence, and so
love is giving without taking, et cetera.

These points would be lost, or their effectiveness reduced, if the white
fountain and the black hole were one and the same.