(urth) lots of stuff

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Mon Jul 12 15:34:04 PDT 2010

On 7/12/2010 4:50 PM, António Pedro Marques wrote:
> James Wynn wrote (12-07-2010 21:10):
>
>> If Inire=Inuus, then it would follow that Father is a literal title. But
>> the obvious question is "father of whom or what?"
>
> I always associate Father Inire with Dworkin from Zelazny's Amber
> novels. Dworkin is supposed to have fathered the king of Amber through a
> unicorn. (The king was AWOL during the novels.)

Um....Didn't you think it was kind of odd the way Corwin's henchman
Gamelon from a Shadow was able to one-punch Girard, the biggest,
toughest brawler on the true earth?

I see Oberon as being more like Inire: the crafty, hidden manipulator
and kingmaker, but there's a bit of the old Autarch's multiple guises
and manipulating both sides as a double-double agent.

Both series deal with some similar themes, and Zelazny's attitude is
very different from Wolfe's, but it is interesting how close the
internal attitudes of Corwin and Severian are, while ending up in
opposite directions. Both acknowledge they are villainous, selfish men
but regrettably find themselves the best of a bad lot, but the much more
self-confident Corwin refuses the throne he'd sought after while the
self-doubting Severian embraces literal responsibility for everyone on Urth.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
IEEE Student Chapter Blog at
< http://ieeetamut.org >