(urth) lots of stuff

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 01:40:41 PDT 2010

>>> Why?
>> Plenty of reasons potentially. He's a wolf which would appeal to the
>> author. Additionally, he's destined to be chained to rock until the end
>> of the world. You don't think F. Inire likes his post do you? Stuck on a
>> backward planet tweaking the pointless politics of the Autarchs.
>
> He could leave at any time via the mirrors, or take a vacation of most
> any length via the Atrium or the Botanic Gardens. Severian thinks he
> has taken the post voluntarily: "We know your master is what the
> people call a cacogen, and that for whatever reason, he is one of
> those few who have chosen to cast their lots entirely with humanity,
> remaining on Urth as a human being." Citadel, XXXV

Hm...let me make a distinction in terms: "chained to a rock", not
"marooned" there. And by associating Fr Inire with Fenrir, I do not
intend to say that Fr Inire was captured and forced to stay on Urth by
some means physical means.

"Chose _for whatever reason_" includes choices based on very limited
options...including no real options at all. Sure, he was *physically*
able leave at any time (perhaps) or travel to a better Time, but the
very word "hierodule" (Heiro slave or Heiro robot) suggests that any
"choice", for him is a highly qualified term.  Anyway, it's hard for me
to imagine Father Inire taking two weeks off to hang at an off-planet
resort.

Does Severian's statement here imply that he didn't KNOW at the time Fr
Inire's reasons for being stationed on Urth? Or only a decision not to
"get in to it" with Rudesind?

u+16b9