(urth) Dorcas (was: The mystery of the image of an astronaut cleaned by Rudesind)

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 15:16:38 PDT 2010

>> James Wynn wrote:
>> The issue is whether Dorcas as Sev's grandmother was
>> explained in terms that made it convincing to all.
>>
> On 7/9/2010 4:53 PM, Tony Ellis wrote:
> No, the issue in this thread is whether it was explained in terms so
> *un*convincing that you were right to call it 'a half-baked theory' or
> 'only understood 20 years after the book was published'.

No. You misread part of that. I did not call it a half-baked theory. I
said this:
> The only reason
> it's not sitting on the "Half-baked Theory" pile today is because Wolfe
> uncharacteristically confirmed it to a questioner.

If it was explained in terms at all before the late 90s, I'm unaware of
it. It's not an issue of it being in "un"convincing terms. Perhaps
"insufficiently convincing" is accurate, because people can be very hard
to convince. But in the late 90s, the explanation was carefully detailed
in a way that many people began nodding their heads in agreement. Still,
until someone posted that Wolfe had confirmed this (which I believe
unfortunately occurred  when the archives were broken), alternate
theories were regularly offered and debated on this list. Now it is
gospel and the other constructs are beneath the waves as Nessus is
beneath the oceans of Ushas. It's as though they never happened.

If I've inadvertently dissed you, I apologize.

u+16b9