(urth) Dorcas (was: The mystery of the image of an astronaut cleaned by Rudesind)

António Pedro Marques entonio at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 12:40:52 PDT 2010

James Wynn wrote (09-07-2010 20:08):

> Sure there were people who read tBotNS and said "Aha! Dorcas is Severian's grandmother."

Unlike the usual 'Wolfean mysteries', the indentity of Dorcas is hinted at
using the classic literary devices one finds everywhere. I think this is
what makes it so obvious and not really a 'puzzle'. I also think it makes
your comparison misguided. Again, the debate with Dorcas isn't whether there
is convincing evidence, it's more like whether the evidence isn't deceptive.

> I think simian references to Inire and Rudesind are significant, but I
> never paid them much mind before. Now they *do* appear obvious, don't they?

I don't see what you mean. There are several simian references throughout
the book. Lowering the bar for what constitutes a simian reference gets us
even more. They do not apply only to Inire and Rudesind. They may tell us
more about Severian and his society than the people being described. And
it's funny that the fauna is so different yet simians are supposed to be
just like our own. But again - what do you mean when you say they're obvious?