(urth) Tzadkiel/Melek Taus

António Pedro Marques entonio at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 08:08:24 PDT 2010

This is worth pursuing but I think there are a number of problems with it.

If Tzadkiel is honest, his intent is to renew the planet and give Humanity a
new chance. If there is an afterlife then drowning almost everyone isn't
such a catastrophe as it might seem. The fact is that the world is in dire
need of moral cleansing, not only terraforming, and I don't see how you
achieve the former without some global disaster that at once decimates the
population and changes the natural environment. The new world will have a
chance to be good.

If Tzadkiel is a liar, then I don't see what does he gain by destroying the
world. Sure, he could do it out of sheer evilness, but I don't find it
convincing that he would take all that trouble just to have a 5 minute
massacre sport. We tend to associate evil with selfishness, and to
annihilate your potential servants makes little sense selfishly. And if the
intent is to take pleasure in killing them, then a global drowning is
possibly one of the least interesting methods - quick and clean. If otoh he
wishes to wipe out Humanity for whatever reason, giving a renewed planet to
a reduced population seems to run counter to the objective.

Moreover, if Tzadkiel could send the new sun to destroy the world, why not
just do it without all the hocus pocus? And if he didn't have that power all
by himself, then whoever did have the power is calling the shots, not Tzakdiel.

You mention Severian could have asked for the population to be evacuated.
Well, could the building of the Whorl have been done not out of fear that
the sun would die out, but that the flood could be irreparably deleterious?
And where would you take all those wicked people, and how would you reform
them? If it were easy, what would a new Earth be needed for? In the dying
earth future, my impression is that the population had been steadily
declining for ages.

Does Severian not asking for an evacuation imply that he is evil as well? I
suppose your idea is that he is so embroiled in Tzadkiel's way of presenting
things that such a question doesn't even cross his mind.