(urth) The mystery of the image of an astronaut cleaned byRudesind

Adam Thornton (IO) adam at io.com
Thu Jul 8 12:11:08 PDT 2010

On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 11:13:25 -0400, brunians at brunians.org wrote:
> I'm not sure what would happen!
>
> Say, and apropos of nothing, has it occurred to anyone besides David who
> has read McCarthy's Blood Meridian that the Judge is could very well be a
> larval form of Baldanders?
>
> Note that this would require McCarthy to have read Gene Wolfe.

Well, yes indeed Judge Holden is reminiscent of Baldanders.

But the creepier thing is that the Judge, well, he's not really a fictional
character.  Or if he is, he's Chamberlain's fictional character.  The
height, the albinism, the baldness, and the terrifying and lethal appetites
towards children are all there in Chamberlain.

The Wikipedia article is a decent summary:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judge_Holden

Now, I would personally be surprised if Wolfe had not read Chamberlain.

Adam