(urth) The mystery of the image of an astronaut cleaned byRudesind

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 05:30:57 PDT 2010

>> James Wynn said:
>> I've made a request of you: Replaced "Rudesind is Inire" with "Doras is
>> Severian's grandmother" and answer the same question. The answer is the
>> same in both instances. You've dodged this challenge repeatedly.
>
> On 7/8/2010 6:55 AM, António Pedro Marques wrote:
> ?? You've asked it ONCE, I've reported you to the endless discussions on
> that at the time it was put forward, and I've explained how it isn't a
> good
> analogy.

???
Here are the following threads you've responded to on this:

>> Me:
>> What's the narrative advantage of Dorcas being Severian's grandmother?
>
> On 7/7/2010 4:18 PM, António Pedro Marques wrote:
> I'm not talking about narrative advantage. I'm talking about
> speculative advantage. And as a side note I'm against the idea of
> narrative advantage. I don't see that real life employs it, why should
> fiction?

>> Me again:
>> Okay. What's the speculative advantage to Dorcas being
>> Severian's grandmother?
>
> On 7/7/2010 6:05 PM, António Pedro Marques wrote:
> That has been discussed to death.

Additionally, I've continued to pose the question on this thread. You
didn't take the opportunity to explain how this bit of information is
different from what Ryan has been toying with. But by my count, this is
the third time you have directly dodged providing a straightforward
answer to this question.

>> Me:
>> Actually, I have answered you. I've explained that the question
>> cannot be
>> answered.
>
> On 7/8/2010 6:55 AM, António Pedro Marques wrote:
> Well, in the brand of english I studied, 'I'm not getting an answer'
> in my
> sentence means 'no one has provided that information'. If you said the
> information doesn't exist, you still haven't provided it.

I don't know what kind you studied but in the conventional kind I assure
you that these statements are not equivalent.

>>> "It couldn't work because..." is all but impossible - especially when
>>> all contrary evidence can be just ignored, as in this Rudesind/Inire
>>> case - and "Here's something else that fits that pattern...." is
>>> essentially gratis.
>>
>> It's not ignored.
>
> Of course it's ignored. 'Ignored' here means 'brushed aside', not
> 'victim of
> oversight'.

Perhaps you should provide a glossary.

u+169b