(urth) The mystery of the image of an astronaut cleaned by Rudesind

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Wed Jul 7 19:57:43 PDT 2010

I don''t think any cover story would be needed at all. Do you refer to this:

"This isn't the Citadel," I reminded him again. "How did you come to be
here,
anyway? Did they bring you here to clean these?"
"That's right. That's right." He leaned on my arm. "There's a logical
explanation for everything, and don't you forget it. That must have been the
way. Father Inire wanted me to clean his, so here I am." He paused,
considering.
"Wait a bit, I've got it wrong. I had talent as a boy, that's what I'm
supposed
to say. My parents, you know, always encouraged me, and I'd draw for
hours. I
recollect one time I spent all one sunny day sketching in chalk on the
back of
our house."
. . .
I asked Rudesind who it was who had told him he must tell me about his
childhood.
"Why, Father Inire," he said, cocking his head up to look at me. "Who do you
suppose?"

I take this as some direction Inire gave him upon posting him as a
lookout for Severian. But it would explain the mention of Fechin, who is
after all not a saint.

Could this also be a clue?

Saint Rudesind: Born in Galicia, Spain, in 907 to a noble family, he was
appointed bishop <http://www.catholic.org/encyclopedia/view.php?id=1918>
of Mondonedo at the age of eighteen and against his personal wishes.