(urth) The mystery of the image of an astronaut cleaned by Rudesind

brunians at brunians.org brunians at brunians.org
Wed Jul 7 18:45:09 PDT 2010

To ask the answer to questions that have already been answered is a
rhetorical tactic typically used with hostile opponents.

It is typically used by lawyers examining witnesses with an audience
consisting of the jury.

Juries, as is notorious, are selected for stupidity.

You trick your opponent into saying something false.

You get him to confirm that he believes what he said.

You then proceed to falsify the false belief to which he has committed
himself.

This impresses idiotes etc.

By using this tactic you are telling your interlocutor(s) that you believe
(that) t(he)y is/are stupid.

Do you in fact believe that the people you are talking to are stupid?

Do you, as I suspect, believe that you are much more intelligent than the
general run of people on this mailing list?

Or is it just me and a few others that you feel superior to?

.