(urth) The mystery of the image of an astronaut cleaned by Rudesind

brunians at brunians.org brunians at brunians.org
Wed Jul 7 16:48:22 PDT 2010

___
In 1923 he emigrated to the United States and landed in New York. He was
already well known in the States from canvases sent to American and
European exhibitions. In fact, it was his American friends and patrons
that helped him leave Russia. His portraits were in demand immediately and
he won the first prize at the Academy in New York in 1924 and a medal at
the 1926 International Exposition in Philadelphia.

Fechin became well-known for his powerful portraits that always seemed to
radiate from the eyes of the subject. Some of his more renowned subjects
are Nikolai Lenin, Karl Marx, Frieda Lawrence and Lillian Gish. At an
early age he had learned carving and produced impressionistic sculpture
primarily from wood. At the Academy he used other materials but he was
impatient about the necessary construction of armatures and had no care
for the seemingly endless casting processes, while the creative process
became the lesser part. With wood he could begin creating immediately.
---

.