(urth) Inire's absence and omnipresence

António Pedro Marques entonio at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 16:11:16 PDT 2010

Ryan Dunn wrote (07-07-2010 22:53):

> Same with Inire. His physical absence in conjunction with his
> omnipresence means "LOOK FOR SIGNS" to me, because that is in keeping
> with the literary style of Grandma Dorcas.

Just as an aside - we follow Severian's trail till he becomes Autarch. I
can't find any reason why Inire should appear before that point. Unless it
was casually - and here we have someone who should be him at the site of the
old Autarch's accident. Later on we have Severian mentioning meeting him
while Autarch. Earlier on we have the girls (remebers the girls?) telling
their dealings with him. He's not even absent in direct discourse since we
have the letter. On the other hand, in what does his omnipresence consist
except people mentioning him? In short, I dont see that he is either
physically absent or omnipresent.