(urth) The mystery of the image of an astronaut cleaned by Rudesind

John Watkins john.watkins04 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 15:02:11 PDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 5:53 PM, Ryan Dunn <ryan at liftingfaces.com> wrote:

> Same with Inire. His physical absence in conjunction with his omnipresence
> means "LOOK FOR SIGNS" to me, because that is in keeping with the literary
> style of Grandma Dorcas. In fact, it's PRECISELY the type of thing Wolfe is
> asking of us.

I'm not sure that anyone has said that there's nothing to be found in all
the various clues about Inire.  The question is whether it makes any sense
to assume that every candidate for being Inire-in-disguise is in fact
Inire-in-disguise, and the dialogue has gone much like this:

"X might be Inire.  They both look like monkeys!"

"Well, X doesn't act much like Inire."

"Why the monkey thing, then?"

"Well, X's backstory is inconsistent with X being Inire."

"The backstory's a lie."

"Well, X's physical description is incompatible with Inire's."

"Inire is a shapeshifter and master of disguise."

"Well, that would require Inire to be in two places at once."

"Tzadkiel can do that, why not Inire?"

"Well, what does it add to the story to assume X is Inire?"

"Irrelevant."

At some point in that conversation, the burden of proof was shifted to the
skeptic and the argument that X is Inire became non-falsifiable.  If Inire
is an immortal shapeshifting, time-travelling bilocating liar, it's
impossible to demonstrate to anyone's satisfaction that any given character
is not Inire.

But why look for him, then?  It doesn't much matter who Inire is unless
there are people he isn't.