(urth) The mystery of the image of an astronaut cleaned by Rudesind

António Pedro Marques entonio at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 14:33:17 PDT 2010

Maybe I should point out in more detail how the two things you are confusing
are quite distinct.

- One is the author having a purpose for including something in the story.
The thing is there because it serves some end. That is its narrative advantage.

- The other is the reader having a purpose for making assumptions about what
happens in the story, i.e., speculation. Speculation is justified because it
enables a novel or in some way extended reading.

In fact, the reason you've provided yourself for justifying speculation is
that it serves to find a narrative advantage to things which otherwise you
think don't have any.

Now, I'm not a fan of the idea that everything must provide narrative
advantage. In fact I think a decent lengthy book should have detail in it
that is there only for its own sake. Maybe it could provide narrative
advantage in a parallel story. Maybe the fact that the character forded 3
instead of 2 brooks could be significant in some untold story about that
place. Maybe the story can even be written one of these days.

In short, I don't think everything in a book should serve some purpose
within that book. But reader speculation must, because with all the stuff
that Wolfe left lying there to toy with, if you don't set some standard,
then you can go on indefinitely at random.

Whereas you've done the reverse: you think everything in the stpry must
serve some purpose, yet speculation is free to roam.