(urth) Inire as a hierodule

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 7 13:27:45 PDT 2010

>Roy Lackey- Since you have claimed that both Rudesind and Fechin are really Inire, it
>doesn't really matter, does it? They are all the same person, and I guess
>the part about being a boy is just a lie. And I guess the old man at
>Casdoe's cabin lied about being a boyhood friend of Fechin's, too. Because,
>in the interest of pedantry, I feel obliged to point out that Inire had been
>vizier to all the autarchs, going back at least a thousand years to Ymar.
>Maybe Inire had a protracted boyhood and only grew up and got old in the
>last seventy years or so.

"claimed" is such a harsh word, Roy. So final and legalistic. I prefer "suggested"
or "offered possibility".

Anyway I don't think you have the right mind set for how such a thing could
work. Ryan Dunn is more along my way of thinking- using Tzadkiel as a model for
shapeshifting. A giant shapeshifting being who can squeeze off smaller parts which
themselves can shapeshift. I wonder if the giant Tzadkiel that Severian sees on her
throne is even the biggest version of him/her.

Anyway, so, like Tzadkiel, these squeezed off pieces could act as various agents at
various times. One could look like a proboscis monkey with a long nose, one like a
uakari with almost no nose, one like a cynocephallic baboon, one like a long-armed,
red-haired artist etc. I would expect each one to have an identifying mark to tie
them back to the original being though, like the Armiger's Daughter. Part of good
story telling.

Where might a gigantic original being which could spawn Father Inire copies actually
reside while on Urth? Where indeed. I could also wonder from whence did Juturna and
her "sisters" originate? Does a squeezed off piece of Abaia have to be male? I think
Seawrack and The Mother in Blue's ocean might be another example of a similar
relationship.