(urth) The mystery of the image of an astronaut cleaned by Rudesind

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 12:30:22 PDT 2010

On 7/7/2010 2:19 PM, John Watkins wrote:
> Well, I don't know that Severian was always already artificial

Why is that necessary? What if --as seems likely to me-- Severian
drowned in the Gyoll at the beginning of SotT? That would mean that for
almost every event in which Severian takes part (with the exception of
early childhood memories) he was an artificial presence.

Actually my original point was to show that debating a theory with snark
isn't always so easy in a Wolfe novel.

> --I know that at one point or another in the narrative his personality
> is artificially resurrected.

Is that an important distinction? Wouldn't the extrapolation of this be
that Pas and Scylla were not artificial persons?

u+16b9