(urth) The mystery of the image of an astronaut cleaned by Rudesind

António Pedro Marques entonio at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 10:42:09 PDT 2010

Ryan Dunn wrote (07-07-2010 18:29):

> Any clue to Inire is worth considering and processed however you see fit.
> Same with speculation on the humanity of other characters.
>
> If Tzdakiel's shapeshifting, Inire's mirrors, Hethor's time traveling
> pets, time traveling ships, Severian as Apu Punchai is all fair game,
> then it stands to reason that Inire, who is CLEARLY controlling the
> goings on of the entire planet, appear in many aspects of Severian's life
> (unknowingly to Severian) to control his journey, instill character
> traits, build the right memories, all so that his final test on Yesod
> comes off successful.
>
> If Zak can change from a strange dwarf thing to a furry monster. Could
> Inire change from a red wizened ape who could be a man, into Inire, into
> Fechin, into Rudesind? If he IS doing these things, and spying on
> Severian's journey, isn't that important?
>
> How is that not important to at least consider? Disagreeing with it is
> one thing, disregarding this speculation out of hand seems to be a bit
> brash.

How can it be important if I've been asking forever for its implications and
no one produces any? I'm not disagreeing with it. I'm asking what does it
enable that wasn't there before. I'm generally asking that in relation to
much of the specualtion that is often done. You do it again: try to justify
that, if we know something happens somewhere, then it can happen somewhere
else. So you say we are allowed to imagine a shapeshifting FI because there
is a shapeshifting Tzadkiel. That doesn't bother me (of course you can have
a shapeshifting FI). I'm not dissing some given speculation on the basis of
its plausibility, but rather on the basis of its usefulness.