(urth) The mystery of the image of an astronaut cleaned by Rudesind

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 6 19:27:51 PDT 2010

D.S.>Is there anything monkeylike about noses touching chins?

I did previously post this pic of a proboscis monkey
http://smackamack.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/proboscis-monkey-adult.jpg
Might look a bit like Rudesind.

Here is one of the S. American uakari which makes a notable appearance
in BotNS
http://www.konicaminolta.com/kids/animals/library/field/img/bald-uakari_img01-l.jpg

I could see Wolfe getting the inspiration for Father Inire's
appearance from one of these critters. I note that both these
monkeys have reddish hair. As did the Russian/American painter
Nicolai Fechin. (self-portrait with paintbrush http://www.bpib.com/illustrat/fechin3.jpg)

I think it truly could all be unintended coincidence. But since
Wolfe took seven years to produce BotNS I can't rule out that he
used some of that time to interlace the story with such nearly
imperceptible connections all intersecting at Father Inire. I
just consider it a very interesting possibility.