(urth) The mystery of the image of an astronaut cleaned by Rudesind

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 5 19:47:58 PDT 2010

>The whole thing with Rudesind is weird. I'll leave it at that,
>since I don't think I have a strong enough set of criteria to
>support a Rudesind = Inire case with the folks 'round here.

Ryan, some have been on this list for a LONG time. Many are content
with their reading of BotNS and there is no new theory strong enough
to meddle with that contentment. As it should be. We are each seeking
our own best reading and should not seek to bend others to our own
comfort level.

For me, if there is one master key to unlocking puzzles of this story it
is the recognition of archetypes. We are given one well described
phenomenon and expected to recognize it disguised elsewhere in the story.

Over and over we are shown that rulers appear in various guises.
We know the old Autarch is ruler but also 3rd bursar and also a brothel Madame
plus other unmentioned roles. Tzadkiel takes the multiple role thing far more
seriously with various shapes, sizes, species and genders. Even Severian
legitimately introduces himself to Pega, et al. via his role as "Hipparch Severian
of the Black Tarentines."

So, I find it expected that Father Inire would do the same sort of role playing.
I could even guess he'd do it more extensively than the Old Autarch, more on a
level with Tzadkiel, given his extra-terrestrial nature. I think we are invited
to find all versions of him. And, as with Zak/Tzadkiel some distinguishing
characteristic by which we may identify him. Perhaps multiple marks. If we have a
gold ankle ring and brown, feathery coloration to identify the Armiger's Daughter,
perhaps monkey features, obscured eyes, lust for young girls, artistic interest and
losing material possessions are a constellation of traits for identifying Father
Inire.

I understand the motivation of those who counsel parsimony, when it might appear
there is no purpose to having multiple versions peeping out from behind every bramble
bush. But for me, there is a purpose to these hidden Father Inires which is to fill
in some missing spots on Severian's family tree. To me, solving that central mystery
is important and could be a reason for Wolfe to use many difficult-to-pentrate
guises for Inire. For others that just might not seem very important or interesting.

FWIW, I don't think Rusesind's height is ever mentioned. He does have hands as long
as Severian's feet and a nose which almost touches his chin.

Like so? http://smackamack.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/proboscis-monkey-adult.jpg