(urth) The mystery of the image of an astronaut cleaned by Rudesind

António Pedro Marques entonio at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 04:24:57 PDT 2010

Ryan Dunn wrote (05-07-2010 01:00):
> The appearance of the Autarch at House Azure opens the gates to other
> unannounced, unnamed characters appearing. He did it with Hildegrin as
> well, and a handful of other characters.

Well, that's just the way it works - people don't usually go around shouting
their names on the street. You later on recognise them and think 'oh, I've
seen you before'.
And Severian meets those people and later on recognises he's met them. What
do we gain at all by positing that he's also met loads of people who were
all, in fact, the same as a lot of other people he's met, but doesn't recognise?

> Why not Inire, perhaps the most talked about yet never seen character??

How so 'yet'? We talk about powerful politicians all the time, but we seldom
meet them in operson, and mostly would never have seen them if not for
newspaper photographs and television.

Purpose. Purpose. Where's the added value in such speculation? What richness
does it open the door to?