(urth) The mystery of the image of an astronaut cleaned by Rudesind

Ryan Dunn ryan at liftingfaces.com
Sun Jul 4 17:00:02 PDT 2010

The appearance of the Autarch at House Azure opens the gates to other unannounced, unnamed characters appearing. He did it with Hildegrin as well, and a handful of other characters. Why not Inire, perhaps the most talked about yet never seen character??

You sort of proved my point for me.

Why go to the trouble of giving Rudesind monkey-like description? Why have Eata say Inire looks like a monkey? Why have a red, wizened monkey who could be a man were it not for the hand-feet watching over Severian from the jungle above? Why, why WHY?

Because Inire has a clear motive to make sure Severian's journey goes just so, and that he and his eidetic memory make their way to the war with the proper "experiences", for the inevitable trip to Yesod.

No? Not sure that is as speculative as it may seem.

...ryan