(urth) The Politics of Gene Wolfe

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Sun Jul 4 00:29:17 PDT 2010

On 7/3/2010 10:55 PM, Lee Berman wrote:

> Why didn't the Founding Fathers mention self-defense, hunting
> and defense from fascist governments in that amendment?

"to secure a free State" covers defending against fascism. Self-defense
and hunting would be matters reserved for the states, or more local
units still.

> Why only militias? And
> are there now legal militias which rely on self-owned weapons?

Yes, starting will all serious historical re-enactment clubs. It's not
just a Civil War or Revolutionary War thing, there are guys who drill
with period Russian and German uniforms, personal weaponry, and tactical
formations, and wargame house-to-house fighting from the Battle of
Stalingrad. among other places. They own their own weapons or borrow a
friend's extras, which are typically functional.

Even the SCA is considered a millita by the FBI due to the "heavy
weapons" activities that include training people to fight in massed
formations, albeit with sticks and shields and the occasional volley of
arrows or simulated fiery bombard.

>  A militia armed solely
> with self-owned weapons would tend to get the Ruby Ridge/Waco treatment, I think.

That is a problem, but the Justice Department settled with the Ruby
Ridge survivors in the millions and the FBI sniper was twice indicted
for homicide.

The Waco incident was horrendouslyt convoluted and total flame bait, so
I'll just give you that.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
IEEE Student Chapter Blog at
< http://ieeetamut.org >