(urth) The Politics Of Gene Wolfe

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Sat Jul 3 20:30:13 PDT 2010

Of course that's rather a silly question to ask people in a survey: are
guns A-OK, or should only the army and police have them---even pistols,
that favorite weapon of well-regulated militias?

It is useless in determining whether people actually think the state
must allow citizens to carry concealed handguns into nightclubs or onto
trains, planes, and taxis or into supermarkets, schools, churches, and
libraries in gun-crime-plagued cities far from their own homes.

One may as well ask: should people be required to educate themselves
before they earn the privilege of voting, or should the government
assign votes to each citizen?

Furthermore, I am quite sure a similar majority of Americans believe
that handguns are good for self-defense. I'm all for self-defense and
(registered) gun ownership, but the two have little to do with one another.