(urth) The Wizard Knight Theology

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Sat Jul 3 20:11:50 PDT 2010

> I see no evidence that Arnthor and Morcaine utrilise their dragon
> aspects elsewhere.  Morcaine is introduced as dinner for a
> dragon.Later Able speculates.on the issue of whether Arnthor's
> dragonly equipment may be an impediment to his relationship with
> Gaynor, but this seems a little doubtful to me, even if it fits her
> character somewhat.

Able's speculation qualifies as evidence, I think. And since
Garsecg/Setr is Aelf in Aelfrice and a dragon in Muspel, it seems to me
that you are rejecting the obvious. When Able sets things right in
Mythgarthr, it means the end of Arnthor's and Morcaine's rule.

> [It is unfortunate he could not have found a woman like Idnn, who
> would, at least after a pep talk with Able, take such issues in her
> stride.  So to speak.]
> >Well, it's true I'm speaking in terms of the intended message as I
> see it. Michael says that in order true have Disiri, Able must learn
> to summon her...that is he must be her her master...that is, he must
> master his lower desires. In order to do that, he defeats his dragon
> Grengarm and goes --the opposite direction from Aelfrice-- to Skai.
> After that, he has become a knight Mythgarthr sense and can perform
> all the duties of a knight that he has pledged. And *then* he can
> summon Disiri.
> I can buy this interpretation.  Though I am not 100% convinced by it.

That's good enough for me.

> Of course Disiri is also Woman... and as usual Wolfe is less than
> wholehearted in proclaiming Her superiority.

Hmmm...I don't want to respond contemptuously, so just imagine that I
did. ;-)
What is the message of then of Valfather bowing before Michael? One
thing I appreciate about Wolfe's fiction is that he is apparently deaf
to unspoken PC post-feminist rules that cause other writers to turn
their female characters into predictable stock.

u+16b9