(urth) Lives of the Great Beasts

Jonathan Goodwin joncgoodwin at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 20:24:38 PDT 2010

"Megatherian" is not Wolfe's coinage. It's in the OED. It is a simple
variant of the same word used to describe the extinct sloths, used in
the same way: "great beast."

What does "megatherian" mean in the New Sun? It refers to the great
beasts Abaia, Erebus, Scylla, Arioch, et al. (If they are the size of
mountains, what bioengineered animal would warrant "mega-"?) There are
sorcerers on Urth, and perhaps their power does come from the
megatherians. I doubt that the mentioned book is a parallel to
Godwin's Lives of the Necromancers, however. To think it so would
require making a specific inference from Crowley's silliness, and I
see no reason to do that.