(urth) The Politics Of Gene Wolfe

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 09:35:32 PDT 2010

 >>I've read through most of _Starwater Strains_ now, and my
initialbelief has hardened:
 >>Gene's writings are definitely getting more
 >>political. In his older works like _Peace_ or _Book of the New Sun_
 >>(pre-90s), I didn't notice anything political, or at least,
 >>contemporary. But in stuff from the last 2 decades? My suspicion has
 >>become certainty.

 >Have you read _Operation Ares_?  Perhaps an outlier, but definitely
political.

Not an outlier, I think. "The Devil in a Forest" is fine unflattering
deconstruction of Robin Hood as a hero who "robs the rich to give to the
poor".

For the most part, however, the examples given from "Starwater Strains"
are seeing what one expects to see. You don't have to be a
conservative/libertarian to imagine a dystopian government (ex. George
Orwell). You don't need to be a Tea Partyer to wish well a revolution
that will bring down the "big important gangs with suits and guns". That
sounds like the communist/anarchist G-20 protesters in Toronto.

u+16b9