(urth) The mystery of the image of an astronaut cleaned by Rudesind

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Thu Jul 1 21:49:54 PDT 2010

On 7/1/2010 9:47 PM, David Stockhoff wrote:
> I was referring to the photo in the link. I think that's the photo in
> Rudesind's gallery, or a painting of it, or a printout on really tough
> paper and ink.

I do not think it matches the passage. To refresh:

"The picture he was cleaning showed an armored figure standing in a
desolate landscape. It had no weapon, but held a staff bearing a
strange, stiff banner. The visor of this figure's helmet was entirely of
gold, without eye slits or ventilation; in its polished surface the
deathly desert could be seen in reflection, and nothing more."

and

"'...Today I took the notion to clean it again. And it needs it—see how
nice it's brightening up? There's your blue Urth coming over his
shoulder again, fresh as the Autarch's fish.'"

and

"...'Is that the moon? I have been told it's more fertile.'
"'Now it is, yes. This was done before they got it irrigated. See that
gray-brown? In those times, that's what you'd see if you looked up at
her. Not green like she is now.'"

The linked, autographed photo does not show a staff, and the visor
pointedly shows the flag and the sun more than the moonscape. The earth
is above his head rather than either shoulder.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
IEEE Student Chapter Blog at
< http://ieeetamut.org >