(urth) Appearances of Inire

António Pedro Marques entonio at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 16:53:34 PDT 2010

John Watkins wrote:
> I"m confused by this too.

I'm confused as to why you don't write your remarks below the part of the
message whcih they address.

> Certainly Pas is evil. Certainly many of his servants (Silk) are good.

But I didn't say evil masters can't have good servants. I said that in the
books, if Tzadkiel were evil, you'd have an evil master whose servants would
be better than his opponents - i.e., those who oppose the evil master are of
a quite lesser moral standing than those who serve him - and would actually
consider the master to be good. I don't recall Silk ever considering Pas
good, nor actually any of the Whorl gods. In fact, from what I recall, the
people in the Whorl are fed up with their gods.

> And of those servants who aren't very good, they tend to be improved
> by greater service (Incus). Wolfe seems to believe and in fact very
> nearly states in canon that good service to even a false god is
> sanctifying.

Quite sure, inasmuch as the false (here the issue is 'evil', not 'false') or
evil god is also ultimately bound to God's plan for the world. It's not
because of Pas's evilness that Auk or Incus improve (I'm not even certain
their Incus shows much of an improvement, but that's another matter).

What salvific elements are there in the Whorl's religion are due either to
the community's appropriation and improvement by serious reshaping
(motivated by individual episodes of englightenment or not) of the basics
they were primed with, or whatever of the originals shows through the
transvestite. It's not from Scylla's demand of 50 children that the good
people of the Whorl got their morals.