(urth) (no subject)

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Fri Jul 30 15:23:07 PDT 2010

> Wolfe himself, in an interview, calls the Vodalus feast a "satanic
> eucharist". But we are to take Severian's feast on the old Autarch's
> brain as being divine? I dunno. Perhaps as a non-Catholic and non-
> Christian I don't have the right background to form an educated
> opinion. But that seems like an awfully icky way to gain grace.

Of course it's satanic, Vodalus is a satanic figure and he's twisting any
virtue the analept might have into part of his mockery of communion.
But the Increate may validate even a false, incomplete sacrament.

> When Severian receives his new consciousness I seem to remember him
> feeling a flood of relief as all the inhabitants of the old Autarch
> find that they have not perished in his old body but have found new
> existence in Severian.  From this I get the sense that this process is
> a form of artificially prolonged life and perhaps not one to be envied.

This could be from duty and from a hope of redemption, that they can
continue to serve the cause of Urth, instead of ending in failure. And it
could be some projection on Sev's part, relieved that he didn't become a
puppet of the dozens of imperious minds of his predecessors. It's his
glands that are still real, after all.

Something in the process may keep the duplicated personalities amiable to
the situation, the way the Casdoe's husband's imprint wasn't upset or
particularly concerned about having been eaten or helping the alzabo kill
and eat the rest of his family.

> I'm not an expert on such things but my impression is that Wolfe finds not
> only pagan mythology to be the competitor of early Christianity but
> gnosticism
> also, with its reliance on arcane knowledge and secrets. I get the
> impression
> that brain eating and the resultant learning and life/consciousness
> extending is a corrupt part of the world of Urth which will not be
> continued
> on Ushas.

Hopefully, it won't have to be, since it will no longer be necessary. But
remember the big theme: even evil men and abhorrent deeds serve the good
of the Increate.