(urth) Serpents and Undines

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Fri Jul 30 09:08:30 PDT 2010

On 7/30/2010 10:16 AM, Lee Berman wrote:

>> Jeff Wilson- I think it's a mistake to strongly link the Cumaean to the leech or
>> Ceryx on the basis of their resurrection fixation - essentially *everyone* and
>> *everything* in the BOTNS - including the title! - is connected to death and
>> resurrection in one way or another half-dozen. Personal resurrection, the
>> resurrection of habits and customs, of races, and of Urth herself.
>
> Perhaps I should have been more clear. I perceive that the story presents two
> sorts of resurrection. One is pure and good and is associated with Pelerines and
> gems and white (or is it doppler blue?) light and angels and, perhaps, faith.

I get the sense that the author is trying to convey that the various
"kinds of resurrection" are a mortal projection; there is only one
source of the gift of life and that is the grace of the Increate. Then
there are people who presume to decide that the Increate hasn't given
them enough and will try to get more some other way, rather than living
and sharing so that what they've been given *is* enough. This kind of
substituion of one's judgment for that of the Increate is the first step
on the dark path that eventually leads the likes of Typhon and Ceryx to
airs of godhood, the way Vodalus presumes to substitute himself for the
Autarch.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
IEEE Student Chapter Blog at
< http://ieeetamut.org >