(urth) So who is the child in Baldander's bed? [was: Juturna, the Missing Sister]

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Thu Jul 29 01:11:39 PDT 2010

From: "Jerry Friedman" <jerry_friedman at yahoo.com>
> From: Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <danldo at gmail.com>
>
>> On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 12:36 PM, Ryan Dunn <ryan at liftingfaces.com>
>> wrote:
>>> is it definitely a catamite? or is that theoretical as well?
>>
>> That's Severian's interpretation of what he sees. He could, I suppose,
>> be wrong...
>
> People keep saying this, but Severian tells us twice that he doubts the
> boy is a
> catamite.  At least so far.

So who/what is he?  The only other possibility I can think of is that he is
Baldander's son.  I have tended to assume that Baldanders started out as a
normal man until he started modifying himself, but we also know that the
modifications have extreme effects such as mental instability evinced as
moodiness and violent rages.  So the fact that the child appears to be
retarded doesn't necessarily mean anything. Perhaps Baldanders has started
the modifications earlier on his son/replacement, or perhaps Baldanders
started like this too.

On the other hand, Talos seems to go wandering the world after Baldanders
takes up an aquatic lifestyle - if the child is Baldanders' one might expect
him to stay and look after it.  But it may well be that the local villagers
burned the castle down and disposed of everything there.  (Not for the first
time.)

- Gerry Quinn