(urth) Not a film version but ... (was: Re: UotNS and how it screws with your head)

Jane Delawney jane_delawney at sky.com
Wed Jul 28 17:32:17 PDT 2010

On 13/07/10 18:27, Gerry Quinn wrote:
> Was thinking of this the other day.  BotNS could be adapted for a
> movie (perhaps animated) but the story would have to be simplified and
> spelled out much more than in the book.
>
> Have any of Wolfe's works been made into screen versions?
Don't know whether any have; but regarding BOTNS did you know that
Innovation attempted to produce a *comics* series back in 1993? I think
it was originally supposed to be a 12- issue limited series (that would
have covered vol. 1, Shadow, only, as far as I know).

Only 3 issues actually made it on to the newsstands. Although there was
some interesting artwork in there (The Matachin Dance made it on to the
page pretty impressively) and the script was apparently approved by
Wolfe himself, the whole thing was so compressed as to be unsatisfying
to the Wolfe/BOTNS fan, and consequently so dense that the average X-men
fanboy would have found it incomprehensible and left it on the shelf.

Kudos to them for trying, though! Even in the world of comic-books that
took some hubris.

JD