(urth) Rudesind/Inire/Lunar Picture

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 27 11:10:12 PDT 2010

Severian encounters three people who have facility with mirrors, Jonas,
the old Autarch and Hethor. Severian encounters persons resembling Jonas
and Hethor when he goes on Tzadkiel's ship. The old Autarch was also on
that ship.

This suggests the other person with mirror facility, (as described by Thecla),
Father Inire, has some association with this ship. This line-

>"he is one of those few who have chosen to cast their lots entirely with
>humanity, remaining on Urth as a human being."

seems to suggest Inire is not human but capable of changing his form.
Severian's comment regarding Tzadkiel's portal suggests that Father Inire's
versions are similar but inferior. So much to suggest Inire is a fallen form
of Tzadkiel.

Isangoma in the Jungle Hut, with his metallic skin and resemblance to the Jungle
Guide seems a prime candidate to be a version of Inire (lots of monkeys in that
scene btw). The Bible story mentioning Mt Nebo suggests to me that, like Moses,
Father Inire may serve as guide to the chosen people but due to his disobedience,
is not able to enter the Promised Land with them.

I don't know if the Promised Land refers to Ushas or the Ship and/or Yesod but either
way, it doesn't appear Father Inire is able to go to any of them. Thus I could see
the possibility that he can use the mirrors for others without being able to use
them himself.