(urth) Rudesind / Inire / Lunar Picture

John Watkins john.watkins04 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 09:28:44 PDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 12:13 PM, Ryan Dunn <ryan at liftingfaces.com> wrote:

> Why would Severian ask Rudesind to do that? Why would that be all he asks
> of Rudesind before dismissing him? And after the diatribe about how Severian
> is: "every boy that's ever been here, and I've heard stories put on you that
> belong to men that was old when I was just a boy, and I've heard about
> things I did myself, seventy years ago."
>

>  So it's just a random request to send some young man on an errand while
> Rudesind is on his ladder to Ultan?
>
> Honestly. Why??

As I said, Severian and Rudesind have just spoken about the time Rudesind
sent Severian to see Ultan.  It is in Severian's past, and in Rudesind's
past.  They both remember it.  They discuss it.  Severian asks why Rudesind
sent Severian to see Ultan.  Rudesind explains, accepts the title "advocate
for the dead," (which is, unless I am very much mistaken, a Chesteron
reference).  Severian says, essentially, "Very well. Carry on"--indicating
that he is grateful that he was sent to Ultan.

It may be that there's more to it than that, but why does there have to be?

Moreover, if it is a message to a younger Severian, why does Rudesind
remember doing it the first time?