(urth) Wolfe's Puzzles

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Tue Jul 27 07:04:46 PDT 2010

This is another old post come unstuck in the works:

On 7/10/2010 3:24 AM, Gerry Quinn wrote:
>> 5553 8783 4223 9700 34
>>
>> 2221 0401 1101 7276 56
>>
>> SEALED FOR THE MONARCH
>>
> I take the view that it is essentially random. It is a fundamental point
> of algorithmic information theory that almost all numbers are. Why
> should this number, essentially a barcode for one not especially
> important storeroom, be special?
>
> I don't see it as a 'trick' to make them random, because logically they
> should be random. Of course I cannot tell whether they are in fact
> random. [There is also an important theorem that strings - or numbers -
> above a certain length cannot be *proven* to be random!]

Oh, no, there are huge amounts of correspondence here - you see how
often the same digit appears in series, or in the same group? There are
many parallels between the upper and lower lines, considerable amounts
of consecutive digits and those separated by a single digit.

Overall, English has an entropy of just a little more than one bit per
character; totally random digits have ln10/ln2 or about 3.2 bits per of
entropy per character. This number stream (based on the difference
between consecutive digits) has about 2 - almost certainly some kind of
selection going on here.

Or at least, this is what I gather from having taken Intro to
Information Theory; I'll see if I can ask my prof about it.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
IEEE Student Chapter Blog at
< http://ieeetamut.org >